The Lord Disciplines

My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you,
and don't be discouraged when he corrects you.
For the Lord corrects those he loves,
just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.
-Proverbs 3:11-12

J. Vernon McGee said, "God is going to chasten you as you go along through life if you are his child. . . That is a good evidence that you belong to him. . . Chastening is not punishing. . . The criminal is to be punished; the child is to be corrected."

So let's consider the Lord's discipline in our lives. Here it is directly connected with God's love and even his sweet delight. Think about this. For a parent it is easy to be delighted in a child who is delightful, but have you ever seen a little girl who is a brat? She is spoiled. She is selfish. She throws tantrums when she does not get her way. Have you ever seen a big girl like that? It's not pretty, really.

That behavior is a direct result of a stubborn bent that did not have or did not yield to correction. Ladies, dear sisters, this is not our destiny. You do have a Father who loves you very much. He loves you enough to discipline you when you need it.

So if conviction comes, if the Holy Spirit has been speaking to your heart about a bad habit or bad attitude, yield. Because whom the Lord loves, he disciplines.

Live it Out!
Can you look back on your life and remember times that you have stubbornly chosen your own way, to your own harm? I can. My mother told me that one time I stood in the corner for hours just because I wouldn't say I was sorry. One time I sat at the table until bedtime because I wouldn't eat my peas. Childish stubbornness is childish. God wants us to grow up and out of these childish ways.

Pray
Lord, show me when I have allowed my selfishness or pride to box me in. Soften my stubborn heart and help me to yield and listen to you.

-From The One Year Wisdom for Women Devotional by Debbi Bryson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments