No Rush Jobs with God

"O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago." -Isaiah 25:1 (NIV)

I envision great things, but often life gets in the way. As a mom of young children, I run frantically from one "uh-oh" to the next. "Uh-oh, the juice spilled on the couch." "Uh-oh, the dog ate my sandwich." "Uh-oh, my sock fell in the toilet." And suddenly my day is gone.

Then my week is gone. Then my month. It becomes, "Uh-oh, the birthday party is tomorrow." This is when the perfectionist in me collides with the dreamer.

Oh, the plans I had made! The party would have been fabulous. Should I still shoot for the magnificent array I had planned but accept the fact that the details won't be perfect? Do I give up my creative ideas and aim for a few things done to perfection?

Either way is a compromise. Neither way will be what I had originally hoped.

What a contrast I am to my heavenly Father. "In perfect faithfulness (He has) done marvelous things, things planned long ago." (Isaiah 25:1, NIV). He doesn't get sidetracked by our everyday emergencies, though He is always there to tend to our needs with tenderness and love. He doesn't run out of time. He doesn't cancel plans at the last minute and settle for less than He had hoped.

Photo Credit
I know that my creativity, harried though I may be at times, is a gift from my Creator. But He's not finished with me. It's good to know that "he who began a good work in (me) will carry it on to completion" (Philippians 1:6, NIV).

And it won't be a rush job.

-A worker in Central and Eastern Europe

-From Voices of the Faithful by Beth Moore; pg. 23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments