Honor Your Parents

Whoever curses his father or his mother,
His lamp will be put out in deep darkness.

-Proverbs 20:20

These are sobering words. There are some instructions in the Bible that can be hard to understand. But God's command to honor your parents is not one of them. Why is it then that so many, even Christians, have allowed themselves to completely disregard this?

Some people wonder, Do we really need family relationships? It is sometimes a lot easier to love people from afar or short term. Can't good friends fill the family gap? Chuck Swindoll said, "A family is a place where principles are hammered and honed on the anvil of everyday living." Yes, there are challenging times and personalities. That's when we must rely upon the Lord to help us love them through the good and bad.

Have you let your parents' flaws get under your skin? Be aware: if you can't let something go, if you can't resist the urge to be rude or unkind, it really reflects back on you. You are the child who has never grown up It's your own inner glow and integrity that, like a lamp, is shut off and dark.

So, let me ask you, has it been a while since you called your mom to let her know you love her? If she's getting old and kind of cranky, don't take it personally. My mom told me, "Honey, getting old isn't for sissies." If one of your parents lives alone, it's especially important for them to hear your voice and for you to check up on them. You have the divinely appointed opportunity to be a bright spot in their day and comfort in their life.

-The One Year Wisdom for Women Devotional; Debbi Bryson; August 4; p. 227


I believe when the Bible tells us to honor our parents that it also includes our in-laws. They are the parents of our spouse and a parent figure to us and our children. I read this devotion this summer after my mother-in-law passed away. I am thankful for the time I spent helping her in her home, having her into ours, talking with her and just spending time with her.

There was a time when I did not honor her (or my own parents) the way I should. But the Lord convicted me and I made the choice to love and honor my parents, grandparents and mother-in-law as God commands. It wasn't long before it was heartfelt and not just out of obedience. It became a blessing to serve each one and it set an example for my children.

Having said that, I know that there have been times when I have grumbled about our parents and talked about them to others in a negative way. Each time I realize it, I have confessed my sin and renewed my desire to have more self-control in this area.

Ephesians 6:2-3 reads, "'Honor your father and mother' - which is the first commandment with a promise -'so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.'"

Don't let your lamp go out by dishonoring your parents or in-laws. Honor them and enjoy a long life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman