What is the Cost?

In our lifetime we have a multitude of choices to make. Some are made in a split second, others we may take our time to consider. My thoughts the past few days have been whether we really consider the COST of our choices.

By cost, I don't mean financial. I am talking about how our choices affect our character and reputation, meeting our family's needs, the care and running of our home, our relationships with others, and most importantly our walk with the Lord.

Some topics I've been considering:

Demanding my own way instead of considering the desires and needs of my spouse, children, and others (Proverbs 19:13; Proverbs 21:9; Philippians 2:3; Romans 15:2-3; 1 Peter 3:1-8)

The types of books, television shows and movies my family takes in (Philippians 4:8)

The type of and amount of activities my children and I are involved in (Proverbs 19:14; 1 Corinthians 7:3; 1 Peter 1:15)

Mothers working outside the home (when there is in fact a choice to do so or not) (Proverbs 13:11; Ecclesiastes 5:10; Proverbs 31; Titus 2:5; Hebrews 13:5)

The type of and amount of work my husband does (2 Corinthians 6:14; Proverbs 10:9; Proverbs 11:3; Proverbs 13:11; Ecclesiastes 5:10; Matthew 6:24; 1 Corinthians 7:3; 1 Corinthians 7:33; Ephesians 6:4; Colossians 3:21; 1 Timothy 6:10)

The best way to educate my children based on their personalities, learning styles and needs (Deuteronomy 6:6-9; Titus 2:4-8)

Deciding where to live - rent or buy? near family or work or church? (Luke 14:28)

Caring for aging parents and grandparents (1 Timothy 5:4)

I am not giving specific responses to these thoughts because the cost will be different for everyone. And sometimes the benefits of a choice will outweigh the cost. But what is important is that we consider carefully.

Our pastor taught on Sunday from James 3 regarding wisdom. "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." James 3:13

Wisdom is not something we can gain all at once. It is a process. We are continually gaining wisdom as we study the Bible and pray and experience life. As I put the two thoughts together, I can't help but think that the most effective way to evaluate the cost of each decision in life is to look at it through the filter of Scripture.

It is far too easy to make decisions based on our own initiative, pride, selfishness, laziness, or greed; putting our own wants ahead of others and before obedience to God. May we who call Christ our Savior continually seek wisdom and carefully consider how we live - not as unwise, but as wise (Ephesians 5:15).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman