Ten Books That Have Influenced my Life

Okay, so on Facebook, people are being tagged to share 10 books that have affected them in some way. My husband tagged me a week ago. I know we're not supposed to "over think" it, but it did take me some time to come up with this list. Mainly because I kept forgetting, but also because I'd remember before bed and fall asleep after coming up with just a couple!

So, after coming up with my 10, I decided to post it here because it seemed like a good post to share!

#1 The Bible. Maybe this is a "given"; but really, of all the books I've read, this of course has affected me the most. I believe the Bible is God's Word and what it says about the past, how I should live in the present and what is going to happen in the future is the Truth. It has revealed my sins and weaknesses and shown me the way to salvation, given me wisdom and guidance, strength to stand, and comfort and hope in times of sorrow and difficulty. It's the filter through which all things in my life flow and how I determine what to allow in and what to remove. As my husband says, "Every time I read through it I learn something new."

#2 Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. The story of Hosea set in the Old West. This book was a divine appointment. It reminded me that we all have areas of sin and are in need of grace and forgiveness. It helped me to offer that grace and forgiveness to someone very close to me. I'm thankful that God is so patient with me and continues to draw me to Himself whenever I begin to stray.

#3 One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. This book began my journey of learning "to count it all joy". No matter how bad things may get, there is always something to be grateful for.

#4 Dancing with my Father by Sally Clarkson. Another book that pointed me to finding joy. Sally writes "We are not to look for temporal happiness, to have our own way; instead we are to look for the true, authentic joy that comes from God, the Source of joy." (p. 15) Yes, God is the Source!

#5 The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I have read these several times as I used to read it to my students when I was teaching. I have three favorites in the series. The Magician's Nephew is the first book chronologically. I like this one because it's the story of creation; I love Lewis' depiction of how Aslan breathes everything into life. It establishes Aslan as Creator and King. Another favorite is the most well-known, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I love Lucy and her sweet yet strong faith in Aslan. This is also the story of redemption and shows Aslan as Savior. My final favorite is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Eustace's transformation both physically and personally shows how we become "new creations" in Christ.

#6 This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. I read this book many years ago, but I still remember the picture I formed in my mind of God's heavenly warrior riding atop the car of one of the principle characters. So often we think of angels as mild, wearing flowing robes and carrying harps. But this book reminds us that there is a spiritual battle going on around us and that God's army is made up of heavenly warriors who are fighting for us. I like to think about one riding atop my own vehicle or following behind me every where I go, ready to defend my family and me from the enemy and his demons.

#7 Dear Birthmother by Kathleen Silber & Phylis Speedlin. This book was incredibly helpful to me as I faced being a pregnant teen. This book dealt with the myths of adoption which included validating that birthmothers do care about their children; adoption from the perspective of an adoptive parent; the process of adoption and the concept of open adoption with its varying degrees of contact. I also wrote my own "Dear Birthmother" letter which has been shared in various ways.

#8 Jesus Freaks Martyrs by dc Talk. This book reminded me to be thankful for the religious freedom we have in this country. For all of my Christian life up to that point, I had been fearful of going on a mission's trip. As I read this book, I began to feel open to the idea. I was also challenged to be more bold in proclaiming my faith.

#9 Educating the Whole-Hearted Child by Sally Clarkson. I soaked this book up like a sponge. It helped me to formulate my purpose for homeschooling, gave me practical information and encouraged me greatly.

#10 Love & Respect by Emerson Eggerichs. This book did a nice job of explaining Ephesians 5:33. Spouses need to understand and accept that we see things differently (pink and blue). And the way to avoid the "crazy cycle" is by focusing on your own part in the relationship. Wives are to act and respond with respect in every situation even if their husband hasn't acted or responded with love.

So, there are my 10 books. I love to read and wish I made the time to do more of it! I have a Pinterest board of books I want to read, hopefully I'll get through at least a couple of them in the next year. Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments