Ministry Starts at Home

Gideon was told that he would save Israel from Midian (Judges 6:14). But first, God had an assignment for Gideon right at home. God spoke to Gideon and told him to tear down his father's altar to Baal, build an altar to the Lord, and sacrifice a bull on it (Judges 6:25-26).

This may have confused Gideon; but really, it made sense. In order for Israel to be completely free from the oppression of the Midianites, they had to first free themselves from the worship of Baal. Warren Wiersbe points out the importance of the task Gideon was asked to do. He says "true believers can't build an altar to the Lord unless first they tear down the altars they've built to the false gods they worship. . . Gideon had privately built his own altar to the Lord (Judges 6:24), but now he had to take his public stand, and he had to do it without compromise. Before he could declare war on Midian, he had to declare war on Baal." God asked Gideon to begin his task "in the circle closest to him and spread outward from there. The journey of fulfilling our divine purpose will almost always follow this same pattern." (p. 60) Warren Wiersbe writes that "if we don't practice our faith at home, how can we practice it sincerely anyplace else? Gideon had to take his stand in his own village before he dared to face the enemy on the battlefield." This challenges me to stop and evaluate myself. Is there anything more important to me than the Lord? Have I set up any idols that need to be torn down so I can fully worship and serve God?

Often our smaller, private victories are to prepare us for the public victories God has in store for us. It's easier sometimes to jump ahead and try to impact the larger, more noticeable areas around us. But the battle begins at home. We risk an unstable future if we don't first "devote our best gifts" to the smaller, less noticeable areas. (p. 62) David, for example, killed a lion and a bear where no one saw him (1 Samuel 17:32-37) before he stepped in front of Goliath and slayed him. God instructed Abraham, the one chosen by God to be the father of Israel, to teach his children to keep the way of the Lord (Genesis 18:19) before he experienced the fulfillment of God's promise. The disciples were told to first be witnesses in Jerusalem, then in Judea and Samaria and then in the remotest parts of the earth (Acts 1:8). We are to start inward and move outward. Likewise, God asked Gideon to first influence his own family before he influenced his own tribe and then the nation. Matthew 25:21 reminds us that if we are faithful with the few things we're given, then God will trust us with more. Sometimes as a stay-at-home mom, I have moments where I feel like I'm not accomplishing much for the Lord because I'm not doing more outside of the four walls of our home. But this study reminded me that my task of teaching and training my kids is important. I love the saying that I've seen on the internet that says, "Your greatest contribution to the kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." (Andy Stanley)

What God asked of Gideon was not easy. The altar to Baal was Gideon's own father's. It was large, well-built and visible. Gideon had to ask the help of ten men. In spite of the fact that God had promised to be with him, Gideon was still fearful and chose to dismantle the altar at night. Priscilla Shirer discussed that "often, like in Gideon's case, our smaller spheres of influence are not easier to contend with. . . On the contrary, some of the most difficult and intimidating opportunities to walk in God's calling come when we are staring in the faces of those who know us best and whom love us the most." (p. 63) Gideon would experience first hand the consequences of his actions. I often find it more difficult to speak about Christ with those close to me. When considering why this is, I think it is because I fear I won't know what to say, I lack boldness, or I don't want to risk stirring up angry feelings.

Come morning, the people discovered what had been done and began to investigate who might have done it. It wasn't long before Gideon was named as the culprit. The men wanted to kill Gideon, which was ironic since their worship of Baal was grounds for death by God's law (Deuteronomy 13:6-9). God protected Gideon through his father, Joash. Joash declared that if Baal was a true god, he could defend himself. This led to Gideon's new nickname - Jerub-Baal which meant "let Baal contend with him" (Judges 6:32). Yes, "the stakes are often much higher when the mission field is so personal" (p. 63); including being given a demeaning nickname.

But "what lies ahead in your journey is not nearly as critical as where you are right now. Wherever you are now is where you are meant to serve now. These innermost circles are often the ones that offer the least amount of recognition. . .And yet your greatest impact will be done here - in the ordinary rhythms of your daily living." (p. 63) "It's easier to stand on a platform and teach people we may never see again than to walk with our own children, friends, and loved ones in accountability and discipleship. But these spheres encompass the heart of true ministry." (p. 64)

Maybe my family and friends will call me a "Jesus Freak"; but guess what - I am! Fear should not keep me from speaking the Truth to them. And being with my children basically 24/7 can be a challenge and doesn't always offer a tangible reward. But they are my full-time ministry. They are a permanent audience as well as a mirror of my actions. I need to live out my faith in front of them. When I blow it, I need to be humble and admit my mistakes. My kids may not appreciate my counsel and discipline now, but hopefully, fruit will grow from what I have sown into their lives now.

"Gideon learned that if he obeyed God, even though he was afraid, that the Lord would be with him. May we too rely on the Lord "for courageous faith and holy boldness to start where (we) are." (p. 64)

-Priscilla Shirer quotes taken from Gideon pp. 60-64
-Warren Wiersbe quotes taken from The Wiersbe Bible Commentary, The Complete Old Testament, p. 442

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman