Keep Moving Forward

Despite their desires, the lazy will come to ruin for their hands refuse to work. -Proverbs 21:25

The lazy "refuse to work." It's not that they can't; it's simply that they won't labor. The Hebrew word for labor means "to advance, to deal with, to commit, to prepare, to practice, and to finish." When we procrastinate, we are refusing to get to something we know we should or to finish what we started.

Photo Credit
How do we break the habit of putting things off? Proverbs 6:6-8 says, "Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise! Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter."

The ant is a picture of diligence. The word diligence means "putting care and effort into what one does." Ants are focused, always moving forward. I love when you put something in their way - they hardly stop. They just go around it and keep moving forward.

The diligent life allows us to have food for our tables and hearts to share with others. Psalm 37:25-26 says, "Once I was young,and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread. The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing."

Photo Credit
Live it Out!
There are a lot of reasons we sometimes refuse to do something. Wives sometimes refuse to do something for their husbands because they are angry. We can have the same attitude at work or at church or with our families. This is just another form of laziness. We are too lazy to "get over it." We let ourselves get in an emotional rut. Let's not be so petty and foolish and childish. Be like the ant: just go around it and keep moving forward.

-The One Year Wisdom for Women Devotional; by Debbi Bryson; August 21; p. 244

It's so easy to become slothful. It would be much nicer to sleep late, curl up with a book, watch a movie or seek entertainment outside the home instead of homeschooling my kids, cleaning my house, preparing for my class, working on ministry assignments for church or helping others. But it is these very things that help me to grow in my walk with the Lord. The assignments I've been given by the Lord to fulfill each day help me practice putting others before myself, persevering through difficulties, setting an example for my children, and most importantly, honoring the Lord in my daily life.

I love the mantra to "keep moving forward." It's one of my favorite quotes from the movie "Meet the Robinsons." It originated with Walt Disney. Yes, sometimes we need to slow down and take a break; but we can't quit. Laziness does not honor the Lord. We need to let all we do be done from the heart as working for the Lord (Colossians 3:23).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman