Jesus' Glory as the Goal

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" - Luke 10:40


In today's Scripture, we read, "Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." Martha was on the right path, even with her "much serving," as the King James Version puts it. Martha dearly loved the Lord Jesus, and she isn't to be chided for rolling up her sleeves to prepare a special meal for Him and His disciples. The problem was her focus. It wasn't that she was too busy or planned too many menu items. Martha simply allowed those things to distract her from the true focus - the Savior. She lost joy in her labor, gladness in ministering to her Lord, and delight in exercising her God-given gifts. A complaining spirit took over as she focused on her sister, Mary, along with all the pots and pans!

It takes great spiritual discipline, as well as consuming adoration for the Savior, to not become weighted down and distracted by the hard work of energetic service. Don't shrink from serving the Lord today; just be certain to keep Jesus and His glory as your goal.

Lord Jesus, may Your Spirit convict me if I become sidetracked by the demands of my Christian service, whether at home, work or church. May You and my intimate walk with You always be my focus.

-From A Spectacle of Glory by Joni Eareckson Tada; p. 114

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments