I am a Follower

"Follower" is more than something you do or don't do; it's who you are.

Our behavior is determined by our identity. When we understand who we are, then we will know what to do. . . But if our behavior change isn't flowing from our core identity, it doesn't last. . .When you understand that your identity is not about being a fan and instead embrace who you are as a follower, your life will gain incredible clarity and direction.

When Jesus came He wasn't focused on behavior modification, He was focused on giving the disciples a whole new identity.

When our identity is wrapped up in who we were then we will start to live out of that identity because identity determines behavior. If we believe who we are is what we were, then we find ourselves living the way we once did. Instead of moving forward as a follower of Christ, we find ourselves held captive by our past. . . We have been made new in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). He gives us a new identity.

Most of us grew up being taught that our identity as a person is based on our accomplishments. . . In Philippians 3 Paul talks about how his identity used to be wrapped up in these things. . . But Paul's conclusion is "I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ." (Philippians 3:7-8 NLT) I am a follower of Jesus. No mistake I have ever made and no success I have ever had says as much about me as that. And when I embrace that identity and understand that a follower is who I am, then following is what I will do.

When I remind myself every day who I am not and embrace who I am then I will live out of that identity. . . When you know who you are, then you'll know what to do.

The truest thing about you is who you are in Christ. . .You have a new identity in Christ. . . 

You are adopted (Ephesians 2:19).

You are chosen (Colossians 3:12).

You are called (Ephesians 4:1).

You are a follower (Luke 9:23).

That's who you are.

Now go live it out.

-From "Not a Fan" by Kyle Idleman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments