There is no Joy Without Trust

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Worry. Stress. Fear. Anxiety. As one who has experienced all of these at various times these past several years, I can say that they will not lead to joy.

It's difficult sometimes to wrap our minds around our struggles. We may question why. We may get angry. It's definitely not easy to accept it. When things are challenging, we often naturally become stressed. Ann Voskamp writes that  "stress isn't only a joy stealer. The way we respond to it can be sin." John 14:1 says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." She continues, "I know an untroubled heart relaxes, trusts, leans assured into His ever-dependable arms. Trust, it's the antithesis of stress . . . I can't fill with joy until I learn how to trust: . .If I believe, then I must let go and trust." (p. 146)

So the opposite of stress is trust. Ann writes that "belief is a verb, something that you do." If we want to work against worry, stress, fear and anxiety, then we need to have faith in something greater. Ann writes that "a true saving faith is a faith that gives thanks, a faith that sees God, a faith that deeply trusts." (p. 147)

John 6:29 says, "Jesus told them, 'This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the One He has sent'" (NLT). So our daily work, the work God asks of me is to trust. . . "To trust in the Son, to trust in the wisdom of this moment, to trust in now. And trust is that: work. The work of trusting love. Intentional and focused. Sometimes too often, I don't want to muster the energy. Stress and anxiety seem easier. . . Isn't joy worth the effort of trust?" (p. 147) Yes, I would agree. Sometimes it seems easier to just allow the waves of worry to wash over us. But the more we become embedded in the "sand" of our thoughts, the harder it is to function in everyday life.

I appreciated that Ann added this truth - "there are organic, biological causes to anxiety, and there may certainly be underlying chemical issues that warrant medication. . . All anxiety is not spiritual." So one should  not feel badly about medical assistance if it is necessary. My own anxiety was not due to chemical issues. Like Ann, "much of the worry in my own life has been a failure to believe. . . (and) I can't experience deep joy in God until I deep trust in God." (p. 149)

Ann continues, "thanks is what builds trust. . . Count blessings and discover who can be counted on. .  . in counting blessings I stumbled upon the way out of fear." (pp. 150-151) This has become true for me. As we have faced many difficult circumstances these past several years, I have come to find that looking at what I do have and counting my blessings has helped me to build trust in the Lord. The counting becomes easier and the fear no longer lingers for long. For the most part, it has become my natural response to find the positives in each situation and not focus on the negatives. 

"We can give thanks in everything because there's a good God leading, working all things into good." (p. 155)


126. Finally! The kids are back to being good friends

127. The most “stress-less” pre-VBS year ever

128. Sweet sisters in the Lord who are my dear friends

129. My daughter’s growing attitude of contentment & learning to count her gifts

130. Kids finally back to getting along - playing together all afternoon and “camping out” in the tent in sister’s room for the night.

131. My girl’s finished “newspaper”- creativity at work; good writing skills; fun drawings; sibling cooperation; a keeper!

132. An abundance of helpers for VBS

133. Hubby making dinner

134. Increase in kids and the provision of “enough” out of our “not enough”

135. Kids enjoying the process of making their crafts

136. Talking to my mom

137. God’s divine strength and energy for VBS week

138. Using my gifts and talents to serve my church and community at VBS

139. Finishing the painting and furniture organization in our office/school room

140. A husband who helps with the kids, shares in responsibilities and asks how he can help

141. Vacation!

142. Mountains rising into blue skies filled with fluffy white clouds with flat bottoms and scattered bits of green - the beauty of the desert

143. Holes in Saguaros to remind of life in the desert

144. Finding animals in the cloud shapes

145. Arriving at our destination by early evening

146. Two naps in one day!

147. Swimming

148. Desert creatures - big black birds with long tail feathers and curved beaks; the “singing” of the bugs at night; jackrabbit

149. Seeing a fun movie

150. Playing games at night with the family


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments