I Want What I'm Having

Rejoice always. . . give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16, 18

I too look at other gals, see the exterior of their lives, and desire what I see. From the outside my friend's husband, children, home, or job seems superior to my own. I see only the positives, like eyeing a bank account just after payday without subtracting the bills from it. The sum looks large until you notice all the expenses it must cover.

My girlfriends possess amazing qualities. They have been blessed by God. However, when I look at them through the lens of jealousy I see only the deposits into their lives, none of the withdrawals from it.

I need girlfriends. We all do. Mothering is a lonely road to walk without the encouragement and support of other women. When I walk linked arm in am with others, my journey as a mom is smoothed by their presence, prayers, and participation in my life.

I want to be a woman who attracts friends. So how can I? I have found I am most appealing when content with what I have and truly thankful for what God gives my friends. When I am this kind of woman, others flock. When I am not, they retreat.

Taking my eyes off Jesus is the primary cause of discontent, with envy the accelerant. I fail to praise if I'm too busy looking at someone else's blessings, circumstances, or finances to notice the symphony of blessings God is showering on me.

Jesus, today I will read of my own menu and not allow my eyes to wander to the next table. When my eyes are busy noticing all the ways you are working in my life, I count my blessings. I will walk flanked by friends. I will celebrate my friend's successes with her. I will rejoice as you bless her.

My heart will solidly declare, I want what I'm having.

-"I'll Have What She's Having"; Shannon Milholland; "Always There"; pp. 118-119

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman