Faith-Trust-Blessing

I came across this from January, 2010. This is when our contentment journey began. . .

I love how God is always working to teach us His truths. Even after much time has passed after a difficult time or event, God continues to show us His truths through His Word to teach us and make sure we "get it".

Three years ago Dennis decided to leave public high school and go to a Christian school. This proved to be a very challenging time for me. I fell into a deep state of anxiety over the changes that were taking place in our lives. As time passed, I began to not only see Dennis' faith and trust in the situation, but the Lord began to work in my heart and remind that He held us in His hands.

For the new year, we decided to begin reading "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. The reading for January 2 was about "going out without knowing". Dennis said this reminded him of when he decided to leave public school. Oswald Chambers wrote, "You don't know what you are going to do. The only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing." And he encouraged the reader to "continually examine your attitude toward God to see if you are willing to 'go out' in every area of your life, trusting in God entirely." He also admonished the reader not to worry about things because it is "unnecessary and disrespectful" to God. He said that the "attitude of your life (should) be a continual willingness to 'go out' in dependence on God." I am so glad that Dennis was able to follow these truths and follow God's leading in taking the steps he did.

The last three years have been a challenge. We have had to make changes in our lifestyle - discerning "wants" vs. "needs"; letting go of some entertainment choices; and just becoming better stewards of the finances God has provided. But there have been so many positive outcomes to this that I prefer things this way. It keeps us focused on the important things and has brought great joy and peace to our lives.

Another confirmation for me was the Christmas card Dennis received from his superintendent. The card was full of praise for Dennis for being a part of the school and the positive, spiritual influence he was having there. Teaching still has its difficulties, and no school is perfect, but the positive working environment has in turn had a positive influence on Dennis and our family. So I see that this was where God was leading Dennis when he decided to "go out" from his current job. And now it seems so silly for me to have worried about how we were going to "make it". When we are in God's will, He will provide.

And then last night, I read in The One Year Bible Matthew 6:1-34. It says "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your life more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

Long, I know, but each sentence is so true and so powerful. God will provide for us just as He has promised. While I will continue to do my best to be a good steward of all God has provided, I will not spend all my time worrying about every dollar. Aside from the peace I now feel in trusting God, I also have received the blessing of seeing the faithful heart of my husband. He has been my spiritual teacher/leader since the day I met him. I am grateful for a husband who follows after the Lord with his whole heart. It was so neat to see him praised for this at his work place.

I know that there will be more lessons in faith and trust to come. And there are still many areas in my life where I need God to work. I will continue to read and study and look for the truths that God needs me to learn. How grateful I am for a heavenly Father who accepted me even though I am a work in progress!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments