Soul Talk

Saturday evening, Cathy Dickinson taught us out of Psalm 62. David wrote this Psalm after facing a great many trials.

This Psalm may have been written when Absalom was trying to take the kingdom away from David. Whether that was the case or not, this passage of Scripture shows David was at a place where he was tempted to misplace his hope. Instead, David chose to encourage himself with "soul talk".

The key words in this passage are God, my, only/alone and rock.

Cathy began by defining disappointment as displeasure in the failure of something hoped for or expected. We can hope in God because He will not disappoint us.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. -Isaiah 26:3

We read in 2 Samuel 15 of the beginning of Absalom's betrayal of his father. Absalom would sit by the gate and whenever anyone came to deal with a lawsuit with the king, he would call out to him. He sought to ingratiate himself with the people by endorsing their grievances and presenting himself as a solution to their problems. By doing this, he stole the hearts of the people.

When David was told what Absalom was doing, David chose to flee to Jerusalem. Those who remained loyal to David followed him. Zadok and the Levites brought the ark of the covenant of God; but David told them to take it back to the city. He said if it was God's will, he would be brought back to see it in its proper place, but if not, he was ready for whatever God wanted to do to him. Even though David was trusting the Lord, he still wept with grief.


In Psalm 62 in the midst of his sorrow, David reminded himself of whom to place his trust in. He said he would find rest in God alone.

Next David moved to declaring God's character.

verse 1: Only - toward God is my soul silent, From Him is my salvation.
verse 2: Only - He is my rock, and my salvation, My tower, I am not much moved.
verse 5: Only - for God, be silent, O my soul, for from Him is my hope.
verse 6: Only - He is my rock and my salvation, My tower, I am not moved.

What were David's reasons to wait for God alone? He said God was his deliverer, his rock, his defense.

There are times in life when the pain of life can cause us to feel as David did. In Psalm 119:28 the writer prayed "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." 

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. -Isaiah 12:2

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior. -Psalm 42:5

And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. -Romans 5:5

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. -1 Thessalonians 4:13

Finally, God said it: Power belongs to Him. Mercy (lovingkindness) belongs to Him.

Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. -Psalm 94:17

It was an amazing night of worship, leaving things behind, renewing walks, and for some, entering into a personal relationship with the Lord. I was very grateful I attended the retreat. I met some new friends, connected with old ones, ate well and was able to find new perspective - hope in God alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments