Rejoicing!

April 14, 2011

It’s been one week since Dennis’ surgery. I was planning to write an update to let everyone know how he was doing. Even better than how well he is doing with his recovery, I have news from the surgeon. Dr. Stamos called early this evening to let us know that the pathology report came back and it revealed NO CANCER! There was nothing found in the lymph nodes; all was completely clean. He said the chemotherapy and radiation had done their job. We are letting out a big sigh of relief. This is what we have been praying for all these months.

Dennis has been home for three days now. He spent much of Tuesday sleeping. Yesterday and today he was more rested after having a couple good nights of sleep. He is still in some discomfort, but the pain medication is helping. He is able to eat a fairly regular diet - there are only some restrictions due to his ostomy bag. We have been authorized to have a home healthcare nurse come out for ten visits. She came today for the first time to check on his incisions, change one of his dressings and change his ostomy bag. This will be a big help to Dennis as the changing of the bag is a bit of a process. While he is spending most of the day upstairs, he does navigate the stairs well and comes down several times during the day for meals, snacks, and drink refills.

In spite of the good report, Dennis is still not completely done with treatment. Once the sight of surgery is healed, in about six weeks, he will have another surgery to reverse the ostomy. He will then need to complete two more months of chemotherapy as a final step of recovery.

Dennis had gained encouragement from Philippians 1:19-26 back at the beginning of this journey.

"For I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." (Phil. 1: 19-26)

I expected verses 25-26 to be true for Dennis as I think he did for himself, but there was always that unknown. As various things ended up different than we had expected at times, I was ever mindful that God was still in control and would fulfill His plan for Dennis. It appears that Dennis will in fact “remain, and (he) will continue with all of (us).” And I know that because of what God has done in his life and because of the example of faith that he has been to us that our “progress and joy in the faith” will continue. And there is not doubt that “(my) joy in Christ Jesus (is) overflow(ing) on account of (him).”

Rejoicing!
Carolyn

Comments

  1. I am rejoicing with you Carolyn.. so happy to hear the outcome of the surgery <3 No Cancer has been found. Will continue to pray thru the process and I am greatful for you and the testimony of your family..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman