Carrying the Lord's Yoke


I freely admit that I am deeply connected to my husband and kids. When they hurt, I hurt. Seeing my husband in pain has been difficult. I love caring for my family and when there is nothing I can do for them, it is hard for me. 

I woke up Saturday morning feeling so heavy of heart and overwhelmed, wondering how Dennis would ever be able to come home in three days. I spoke to my mom a bit – knowing that she understood since she experienced caring for my dad after his heart attack. I was glad to know that I wasn’t alone in feeling these things; my mom had too. After our mini-chat, I headed out to the hospital. I cried and prayed all the way there. By the time I got there and walked over to the hospital from the parking structure, I was feeling a bit more peaceful. I knew I had to trust God to get us through this.

I walked into Dennis’ room to find him getting settled in a chair. He had walked up and down the hall right before I got there. I was overcome with emotion again, but in a good way this time.

I shouldn’t have been surprised because people far and wide are praying for Dennis and God has proved over and over again that He is ever present with us. I was like Peter in the midst of the storm again, looking at the circumstances around me instead of focusing on the Lord and trusting Him. Why did I doubt that the God who had done so much so far would not answer our prayer for less pain and healing? The flesh is weak. The enemy is vigilant.

As I left the hospital that morning, I thought of Matthew 11:29-30. This verse says, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Warren Wiersbe writes that while the Pharisees all said, “Do!” Jesus says, “Come!” “To come to Him means to trust Him. This invitation is open to those who are exhausted and burdened down.” This was referring to the people trying to follow the Law, but it expresses how I was feeling following my wayward thought patterns of fear, worry and anxiety instead of “coming” to the Lord with them. When I did, He was faithful to meet me where I was and give me peace.

He goes on to write about “Take.” Wiersbe says, “This is a deeper experience. When we come to Christ by faith, He gives us rest. When we take His yoke and learn, we find rest, that deeper rest of surrender and obedience. The first is ‘peace with God’ (Rom. 5:1); the second is ‘the peace of God’ (Phil. 4:6-8). To ‘take a yoke’ in that day meant to become a disciple. When we submit to Christ, we are yoked to Him. The word easy means ‘well-fitting’; He has just the yoke that is tailor-made for our lives and needs. The burden of doing His will is not a heavy one. (John 5:3).” God knows what we can handle and knows what is best for us. Sometimes this includes pain and trials. But if we are faithful to trust in Him and receive what He gives us, the burden will not be a heavy one, but a light one. I am glad to trade my burdensome yoke of fear, worry and anxiety for one of peace.

Lastly, Wiersbe covered the idea of “learn”. “The first two commands represent a crisis as we come and yield to Christ, but this step is a process. As we learn more about Him, we find deeper peace, because we trust Him more. Life is simplified and unified around the person of Christ. This invitation is for ‘all’ – not just for the people of Israel (Matt. 10:5-6). The journey we have been on has certainly been a process. I am constantly learning more about the Lord and His work in our lives. I will never fully “get it” this side of heaven, but at least I am forever moving forward; in spite of an occasional step or two back.
As I drove home that day I heard Mercy Me’s song “Only Temporary”. I’ve shared verses from this song
before. This time the ones that stood out to me were:
“Don't let the situation get to you
This is not a hill worth dying on
Don't let these circumstances tear your heart in two
Soon enough this chapter will be gone

What's insurmountable today

Will surely one day fade away”

As God showed me, Dennis' circumstances have been improving; they are not insurmountable – we are getting through them. The difficulty will fade away over time. And as my dad reminded me last night – come Christmas we will be sitting around their house enjoying the day, and not dwelling on this difficult time.
As we continue our journey, I know there are more lessons to learn and that our faith will continue to grow. I am grateful God loves us enough to want us to be better than we are today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman