Obedience

Holy living demands constant examination of our actions and motives. But in doing so we must guard against the tendency to focus totally on self, which is easy to do - especially as the culture's egocentric values invade the church. In fact, this self-indulgent character of our times is a major reason the topic of true holiness is so neglected today by Christian teachers, leaders, writers, and speakers. We have, perhaps unconsciously, substituted a secularized self-centered message in its place. For when we speak of "victory" in the Christian life, we all-to-often mean personal victory - how God will conquer sin FOR US (at least those sins we would like to be rid of - those extra ten pounds, that annoying habit, maybe a quick temper). This reflects not only egocentricity but an incorrect view of sin.

. . . The Christian life begins with obedience, depends on obedience, and results in obedience. We can't escape it. The orders from our commander-in-chief are plain: "Whoever has my commandments and obeys them, he is the one who loves me."

Loving God - really loving Him - means living out His commands no matter what the cost.

-From Loving God by Charles Colson; part of The Inspirational Study Bible: New Century Version by Max Lucado

Those who know my commands and obey them are the ones who love me, and my Father will love those who love me. I will love them and will show myself to them." -John 14:21 (NCV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman