Let it Go

The past six weeks have been interesting. . .  We began the month of October by taking Dennis' car in for service. We left with a very large repair bill and him still needing four new tires. The next week I got a bolt in my tire on the way home from Bible study. The tire couldn't be repaired, so we had to buy a new one. The next weekend our kitchen faucet sprung a leak. We had to buy a new one and have it installed for lack of the "right" tools. In between the faucet leak and its repair, Dennis ended up going off the freeway and had to be towed up the embankment back onto the road. He had to pay a very large towing bill there on the spot. My eyes finally demanded a new prescription which meant new progressive lenses as well as new prescription sunglasses. And as we enter November, Dennis' laptop keyboard and track pad stopped working. This meant a trip to the Genius Bar today with a repair bill due in the next several days. . .

We could look at all of these financial setbacks and be discouraged, angry, overwhelmed, anxious or depressed. But instead, we find ourselves being thankful. I guess one of the obvious reasons is that we have these things in the first place. Beyond that, however, we can say thank you, Lord, for the savings we had to cover the cost of some of these things. Thank you, Father, for the warranty on my tire that meant we only had to pay for part of a new one. Thank you, Jesus that we have a friend with the right tools who could help us out at reasonable cost. Praise God, that Dennis didn't hit the car in front of him; that the car behind him didn't hit him; and that he didn't roll down the embankment. Thank you, Lord, for the refund, small as it was, that our auto insurance provided for towing. Thankful and humble we are for the generous money gift we received. Thank you, Jesus, that the laptop could be repaired. . .

It's all about perspective. We've struggled enough in various ways to see God's faithfulness. He's always provided for our needs in one way or another. We may not always have what we want; but we always have the things we need. And we are thankful.

My kids and I walked the mall today after visiting the Genius Bar. I saw this shirt in the Disney store. . .


I'm not really a fan of the song from Frozen; but I kind of like this saying. It reminded me today of my growing ability to "not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving (to) present (my) requests to God." (Philippians 4:6) In other words, when difficult things come my way, I am learning to let go of worry, anxiety, anger, discouragement or depression; and instead turn to God with my concerns and be thankful for His work in each situation. The more I continue to practice this, the better able I am to keep calm.

I am thankful for El Roi who sees all of our needs. And for Jehovah Jireh who provides for them. I will never be deterred from the belief that God is good and I am loved because He continually works all things for my good and His glory (Romans 8:28).

I wouldn't mind a break from further financial emergencies for a while; but should they arise, I'll "keep calm and let (them) go"!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman