Guard our Hearts

In the second to last chapter of Sally Clarkson's book Dancing With My Father, Sally writes about how we all love stories where good versus evil and the heroes, against all odds, win the ultimate victory. These stories give us hope. But the greatest epic begins with our Father, the Creator of the universe, who delighted in giving us a beautiful kingdom in which to enjoy life. But Satan, the evil enemy, came along; deceiving and captured the allegiance of God's creation. In order to retrieve the lost from the kingdom of darkness, Jesus, our hero, sacrificed Himself and conquered death. And as His redeemed, we each play a part by bringing "light, love, beauty, and His presence every place we go." (p. 186)

Like the devoted heart of the princesses in the fairy tale stories we love, we too must have a devoted heart. "Joy is not found in doing - 'If I follow this formula and do enough good work, then I will find joy.' It is not dependent on our deserving - 'If I am good enough and do righteous acts, then God will reveal his joy in me.' It is not secured by acquiring things or getting all that we want - 'If my husband changes, and we have a better salary, or my child is healed, then I will have joy.'"

"Joy is established in the secret places of our heart, where we receive the love of our King and love him back. It is our heart that determines our joy. How important it is, then, that we diligently guard our heart and protect it from the attack of the one who would have us doubt our great King." (p. 187)

Watch over you heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.
Proverbs 4:23

Our hearts are the wellspring from which all the rest of our life is conducted. We must choose what thoughts, convictions, ideas and beliefs to plant so that our hearts will continue to grow into a beautiful haven in which we can worship God. (p. 190)

It is important for us to learn how to listen for God's voice if we are to remain in his joy.

God's voice speaking peace is the sweetest music an ear can hear.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon

In order to dance with my Father, "I must come with a heart filled with love for him, appreciative of his wonderful qualities, and responsive to his strength and grace to lead me." (p. 200)

May I continue to examine my life to see if I am looking for things outside of my walk with Christ to be a source of joy. Anything I depend on besides God is an idol. Help me, Father, to rid my heart of anything that is not from You.

-From Dancing with my Father by Sally Clarkson; pp. 185-204



651. Celebrating Dad

652. Treated to dinner

653. Nice email from a Friday school parent

654. Time to talk with hubby

655. Dinner at Chili’s

656. Found books I needed for school at good price

657. Apology from daughter

658. Inexpensive dinner at Rainforest Café

659. Good attitudes during school

660. Chores done and done without complaint

661. Son showing deference by waiting to play on Wii

662. Ironing done!

663. Fun field trip day at the Aquarium of the Pacific

664. Safety on field trip

665. Challenging new Bible study

666. Watching Little House with my girl

667. Fun morning of volleyball; close games; two out of three!

668. Time with my son on Sunday afternoon

669. Chance to rest

670. Free dinner at Chipotle!

671. Mom & Dad willing/able to come and stay with kids

672. Able to get in to see the doctor and not having to wait too long

673. Antibiotics already working on the sinus infection; feeling better this morning

674. Sister-in-law’s surgery went well

675. Opportunity to teach Friday school so kids can still attend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman