He Leads Me in the Paths of Righteousness

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. . .

First of all Scripture points out that most of us are a stiff-necked and stubborn lot. . . .It is inexorably interlocked with personal pride and self-assertion. . . We humans cling to the same habits that we have seen ruin other lives.

Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25, "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

In contrast to which Christ the Good Shepherd comes gently and says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6). "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly" (John 10:10).

The difficult point is that most of us don't want to come. . . We have a sick society struggling to survive on beleaguered land.

Amid all this chaos and confusion Christ the Good Shepherd comes and says, If any man will follow me, let him deny himself daily and take up his cross and follow me (Mark 8:34).

Jesus never made light of the cost involved in following Him. In fact He made it painfully clear that it was a rugged life of rigid self-denial.

Seven fresh attitudes have to be acquired. . . If one follows them they will discover fresh pasturage; new, abundant life; and increased health, wholesomeness and holiness, in their walk with God.

1. Instead of loving myself most I am willing to love Christ best and others more than myself. . . It is a deliberate act of my will. . . It is precisely what God did for us in Christ. . . Love is "self-lessness" or "self-sacrifice".

2. Instead of being one of the crowd I am willing to be singled out, set apart from the gang. . . To be marked as one of His would mean a certain amount of criticism and sarcasm from a cynical society.

3. Instead of insisting on my rights I am willing to forego them in favor of others. . . This is what the Master meant by denying one's self. . . He who has no sense of self-importance cannot be offended or deflated.

4. Instead of being "boss" I am willing to be at the bottom of the heap. . . The person who is prepared to put his personal life and personal affairs in the Master's hands for His management and direction has found the place of rest in fresh fields each day.

5. Instead of finding fault with life and always asking "Why?" I am willing to accept every circumstance of life in an attitude of gratitude. . . If one really believes his affairs are in God's hands, every event, no matter whether joyous or tragic, will be taken as part of God's plan. To know beyond doubt that He does all for our welfare is to be led into a wide area of peace and quietness and strength for every situation.

6. Instead of exercising and asserting my will, I learn to cooperate with His wishes and comply with His will. . . When a man or woman allows his will to be crossed out, canceling the great I in their decisions, then indeed the Cross has been applied to that life. . . No longer my will in the matter but His will be done.

7. Instead of choosing my own way I am willing to choose to follow in Christ's way: simply to do what He asks me to do. . . This basically is simple, straightforward obedience.

The person who decides to do what God asks him has moved into fresh ground which will do both him and others a world of good. Besides, it will please the Good Shepherd no end.

God wants us all to move on with Him. . . He wants it not only for our welfare but for the benefit of others as well as His own dear reputation.

If we are in earnest about wanting to do His will, and to be led, He makes this possible by His own gracious Spirit who is given to those who obey (Acts 5:32). For it is He who works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).

-From A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller; pp. 58-65

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman