How to Live by the Spirit

How do you live by the Spirit?

Admit that without Christ you can do nothing (John 15:5). “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me can do nothing.” 

Pray. If you admit you can do nothing, you say: O God, help me. “Ask, and you will receive,” Jesus said (John 16:24). “You do not have, because you do not ask” (James 4:2). “Call upon me in the day of trouble” (Psalm 50:15).


Trust a specific promise to believe right now. “I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you” (see Isaiah 41:10). “I will help you. I will strengthen you.” “I will make all grace abound to you” (see 2 Corinthians 9:8). I am your God. “I will supply every need” (see Philippians 4:19). Take a promise and trust it.
Act in obedience to God’s Word, expecting God to act under and in and through your acting so that it is decisively his acting. “Work our your own salvation” (Philippians 2:12). “I worked harder than any of them” (1 Corinthians 15:10). “I now live in the flesh . . . by faith in the Son of God” (Galatians 2:20). “By the Spirit . . . put to death the deeds of the body” (Romans 8:13).
Thank God for whatever good comes. Thank him and give him glory. “[Give] thanks always” (Ephesians 5:20).
But the key, is that point of trusting. Trusting God’s promised help. Future grace for the next five seconds or five minutes or five hours. It is called living by faith in future grace. It is called, “God will help you.” “I will help you. I will strengthen you. I will meet every need.” And you trust him for that. That is what I think it means to live by the Spirit and walk by the faith by the Spirit and work out your salvation and act the miracle of the Christian life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments