Christianity is a Walk, not a Destination

"Christianity is described more as a river and a walk than being a lake or a destination. Christianity is not truly alive unless it is moving and changing. That is also why it is not simply memorizing a list of do's and don'ts like the Ten Commandments, but is a life 'in the Spirit' where daily actions are directed by the instructions we get from God in walking with Him every step of the way. This is also why we are instructed to 'pray without ceasing' (1 Thessalonians 5:17). When water stands still and is not renewed, it begins to stagnate; so do we when we become so set in our ways that we think we know it all already and have gone far enough on our journey with God to be able to judge others." -Jesus Freaks II, pp. 267-268
  So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. . . If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives. - Galatians 5:16, 25 NLT 
But  I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen from your first love! Turn back to me again and work as you did at first. -Revelation 2:4 NLT
This quote and verses followed the story of several Quakers who were put to death by Puritans. The irony is that those doing the persecuting were the people who had left Europe because they were being persecuted for their faith by the Church of England. The dispute was over the assurance of one's salvation. "These early American settlers who fled Europe for the sake of gaining religious freedom became like the very people they fled from in too many instances. They loved believing they were right more than they loved being right. They loved gaining power more than they loved giving it away. They got set in their ways and beliefs and fell into the same traps that those fell into who made them want to leave Europe." (Jesus Freaks II, p. 267)
I often find myself getting set in my ways and judging others based on my convictions other than what the Bible says. I realize that not everyone will feel the same convictions on certain things as I do. Unless something is directly in violation of Scripture, I need to refrain from judging others' walks with the Lord based on their personal choice. Instead, I need to lead a life of love and extend graciousness to all. 
 Father, please remind me of "the joy of my salvation". Never keep what you have done for me far from my heart and mind. Help me to not be afraid to the speak the Truth, but to do so in love. May my relationship with you remain a river that never grows stagnant and is being renewed day by day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments