Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have everything I need.
He lets me rest in green pastures.
He leads me to calm water.
He gives me new strength.
He leads me on paths that are right
for the good of his name.
Even if I walk through a very dark valley,
I will not be afraid,
because you are with me.
Your rod and your walking stick comfort me.

You prepare a meal for me
in front of my enemies.
You pour oil on my head;
you fill my cup to overflowing.
Surely your goodness and love will be with me
all my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

-Psalm 23 (New Century Version)

Warren Wiersbe writes in his Old Testament commentary that it is unfortunate that many associate this with funerals and that it is over spiritualized. Often David is pictured as a shepherd boy in the fields "pondering the things of God". Wiersbe writes that it is likely David wrote this psalm later in his life perhaps during his trouble with his son, Absalom. "In it David deals with some of the difficult things he experienced during his long walk with the Lord. While people of all ages love and quote this psalm, its message is for mature Christians who have fought battles and carried burdens."

Here David shows God's people as "lowly sheep" so that "we would learn about the Shepherd and see how tenderly He cares for us." Defenseless sheep get lost and need constant care. Sheep must be led and not driven like cattle. Shepherds know their sheep by name and the sheep will come when called. "In this psalm, David explains that if we follow the Lord and trust Him, He will meet our every need, no matter what the circumstances may be.

I really liked how Wiersbe pointed out the names of God represented here in this psalm:

"I shall not want" - Jehovah-Jireh, "the Lord will provide" (Genesis 22:14)
"still waters" - Jehovah-Shalom, "the Lord our peace" (Judges 6:24)
"restores my soul" -Jehova-Rophe, "the Lord who heals" (Exodus 15:26)
"paths of righteousness" - Jehova Tsidkenu, "the Lord our righteousness" (Jeremiah 33:16)
"you are with me" -Jehovah-Shammah, "the Lord is there" (Ezekial 48:35)
"presence of my enemies" - Jehovah-Nissi, "the Lord our banner" (Exodus 17:15)
"anoint my head" - Jehovah-M'Kaddesh", "the Lord who sanctifies" (Leviticus 20:8)

Wiersbe goes on to say that "our Lord called believers 'my sheep' because He died for them and because the Father gave them to Him. The emphasis in verses 1-3 is that Jesus is adequate for every need the sheep may have. . . . When God's people follow their Shepherd, they have all that they need and will not lack the necessities of life."

Verse 4 speaks of walking through a dark valley. This is "any difficult experience of life that makes us afraid, and that includes death." It is in the times of darkness that the Shepherd "is not before us but beside us, leading the way and calming our fears." Our Shepherd is "Immanuel" - "God with us" (Matthew 1:23). "Through life, as we follow the Shepherd, we will have many and varied experiences, some of which will be very trying, but none of them can take the Lord by surprise. We may trust Him and have peace. The closer we are to our Shepherd, the safer we are and the more His peace will fill our hearts."

Shepherds lead sheep to the fold at night where they can rest peacefully. The shepherd himself sleeps across the opening to the fold to protect the flock. Weirsbe reminds us that "the Lord doesn't always remove the dangers from our lives, but He does help to overcome them and not be paralyzed by fear."

Just as a shepherd would lay back at the end of the day and thank God for the blessings He provided, so "David looked back over his long life and came to the same conclusion. In spite of his sins and failures, he had been followed by goodness and mercy. . . As David looked ahead, he knew he would be in heaven - the Father's house - forever. . . The things that perplex and disturb us today will all be clear when we get to heaven. We will look back and see 'only goodness and mercy.'"

When I came across this psalm in my devotional reading, I was especially struck by verse 1- "The Lord is my Shepherd; I have everything I need." I have been through a variety of experiences in my life so far. There have been a variety of trials; some due to my sin and poor choices, and others allowed by the Lord. But with each one of these difficulties, I have felt and seen the Lord work in each one and felt His presence beside me. It has drawn me closer to Him and helped me to grow in my faith. And because of this growing relationship, I have been able to look back and see the blessings that have been present even in the midst of the trials. I've learned to accept whatever comes my way and to trust that the Lord will take care of me and provide for me. Life may not be easy, but I have learned that God is good and I am loved. And that is more than enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments