Satisfied?

Satisfied? That is one thing we are not. We are not satisfied. . .

We push back from the Thanksgiving table and pt our round bellies. "I'm satisfied," we declare. But look at us a few hours later, back in the kitchen picking  the meat from the bone.

We take a vacation of a lifetime. For years we planned. For years we saved. And off we go. We satiate ourselves with sun, fun, and good food. But we are not even on the way home before we dread the end of the trip and begin planning another.

We are not satisfied.

As a child we say, "If only I were a teenager." As a teen we say, "If only I were an adult." As an adult, "If only I were married." As a spouse, "If only I had kids." As a parent, "If only my kids were grown." In an empty house, "If only the kids would visit." As a retiree in the rocking chair with stiff joints and fading sight, "If only I were a child again."

We are not satisfied. Contentment is a difficult virtue. Why?

Because there is nothing on earth that can satisfy our deepest longing. We long to see god. The leaves of life are rustling with the rumor that we will - and we won't be satisfied until we do.

-From When God Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado; part of The Inspirational Study Bible: New Century Version by Max Lucado

God satisfies us because He holds all the power and protection we need. Trusting him brings contentment.

Enjoy your age, job, friends, and lifestyle. When you are tempted to be dissatisfied, pray, "God, help me to find my contentment in you."

Because I have lived right, I will see your face. When I wake up, I will see your likeness and be satisfied. -Psalm 17:15

I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens. I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens, when I have enough to eat and when I go hungry, when I have more than I need and when I do not have enough. I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength. -Philippians 4:11b-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments