Do We Have to Hurry?

I needed this reminder today. . . I am so often in a hurry to get to the next thing. . . 

"Mommy, do we have to hurry?" my four-year-old-daughter asked as we walked out of the house on our way to the store.

My first thought was, Of course not, we are just going to get groceries. Then it hit me: I often tell her to hurry. She wanted a heads-up.

I tell my daughter to hurry and clean her room. I tell my boys to hurry and get in the car to go to school. I tell my son to hurry up and finish his dinner since the rest of us are already done. I tell my daughter to buckle her car seat quickly so we can go. And I always seem to be in a hurry when I'm driving. Perhaps I need to learn to slow down.

I challenged myself to keep patience at the forefront of my mind one day as I took my daughter on several errands. As usual, she took her time getting in and out of the car, tiptoeing on the curb in each parking lot, walking into each store and looking around at whatever sparkly or pink item caught her eye.

Instead of pushing her along, I was patient. I even pointed out curbs she missed and let her try on some jewelry. We had a great time together running errands. We slowly explored the stores and even found some fun and inexpensive treasures. I hugged her super tight after dumping our bags at the front door and told her how proud I was of her behavior.

But I think the big reason she was able to behave so well was because I was behaving well. I chose to go about my work with a different attitude and had a great day with my precious little girl.

Jesus was busy with his ministry too, but he was never in a hurry. He asked his disciples to follow him, but he didn't say, "Hurry up and follow me." He asked people what they needed, but he didn't look at his watch while they explained their ailments. When he went away to pray, he didn't rush to get there so he could get on to the next important miracle.

Paul said, "Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ" (Ephesians 5:2 NLT), Jesus walked. Jesus stopped. Jesus listened. Contrast that with my day of running, impatiently stopping at red lights, and halfheartedly listening to my son tell me about his day at school while checking my email on my phone.

The root of my hurry: I must be useful and schedule. I like to have a plan, execute it, and move on. If I can get the kids off to school early, I can have more time to do my Bible study and a load of laundry before rushing to my dental appointment. I think I must finish my daily to-do list, even though more tasks will be waiting for me tomorrow.

There are always things to do, and some must be done more quickly than others. But constant hurry sucks the joy out of life.

I desire to follow the challenge set forth by Paul: "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity" (Ephesians 5:15-16).

My little girl likes to spend time with me no matter where we are. When I take the extra time to enjoy being together too, she feels special and cherished.

That's worth more to me than any completed task or all the extra minutes in the world.

Reflect: What does my pace of life say about my priorities? At home and at work, how can I better live out the focus Jesus embodied?

-"Do We Have to Hurry, Mommy?" by Jenne Acevedo from Always There by Susan Besze Wallace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman