Be Satisfied Where God Has Placed You

1 Samuel 18:1-20:42

Though Saul was king and his son Jonathan first in line for succession, God had appointed David as the next king of Israel. David waited for God's timing and did not try to dethrone Saul or eliminate the heir to the throne. Saul's goal was to protect his family line at any cost.

Saul chose jealousy over God's will. Jonathan chose obedience to God's plan and friendship with David over jealousy. Though Jonathan was not given the throne - despite his obedience and godly attitude - he did have peace of heart and knew his priorities were straight.

-The Inspirational Study Bible; Max Lucado

I saw a man in the supermarket yesterday using a new sporty wheelchair. When he zipped down the aisle, his chair didn't make a squeak. I looked down at my big clunky twenty-year-old model with dirt on the frame and threadbare padding. Little wonder I looked with envy at his high-tech wheels.

I'd like a trade-in on my wheelchair. Perhaps you would like a trade-in on your old car. Perhaps the grass seems greener down the street where they are building brand new homes. Yes, an automatic garage door opener and a trash compactor would be great to have. But sometimes when we compile our deisres up against God's desires for us, I wonder how many match.

The apostle Paul says that he has learned the secret of remaining content despite either plenty or poverty. What was the secret Paul had learned? He gave it away in his next breath when he said that he was ready for anything through the strength of the One who lived inside him.

Contentment is found not in circumstances. Contentment is found in a Person, the Lord Jesus.

It requires a special act of grace to accommodate ourselves to every condition of life, to carry an equal temper of mind through every circumstance. On the one hand, only in Christ can we face poverty contentedly, that is, without losing our comfort in God. On the other hand, only in Christ can we face plenty and not be filled with pride.

Lord, there are many things I desire, but I really don't need. Subtract my desires and keep me from adding my own wants. Help me to find satisfaction in You, for only then will I find real and lasting contentment.

-From Diamons in the Dust by Joni Eareckson Tada

Are you content with what God is doing for you? It can be hard to accept that God's will for you may be less money, a lower position, a long wait. Ask God to make you like Jonathan and David and to develop in you contentment in trusting and obeying Him. Be satisfied with where God has placed you.

-The Inspirational Study Bible; Max Lucado

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

A Clamorous Woman