Patience Equals Contentment

A while back, my hubby and I read the following in My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers:

"Anything that has even a hint of dejection spiritually is always wrong. If I am depressed or burdened, I am to blame, not God or anyone else. Dejection stems from one of two sources - I have either satisfied a lust or I have not had it satisfied. In either case, dejection is the result. Lust means "I must have it at once.'"

The devotion went on to speak of spiritual dejection due to our impatience in our prayer life; but we paused here to discuss the attitude of society to have things "now" versus "waiting". There are so many areas in life where the attitude "I must have it at once" can become a driving force. Often we think we are entitled to things or we deserve things. We want the newer more up-to-date; bigger, better item. We want to be entertained. We desire our kids to have new and challenging experiences so we put them in classes and activities. We want to make our kids happy so we give them things at will.

While I don't think it's the desire in itself that is wrong, I think the overriding lust for it now and at any cost is what makes it sinful and leads to the melancholy or burden Oswald Chambers spoke of. We risk becoming burdened financially, we become overwhelmed with schedules that are too full, we risk raising children that are impatient, demanding and spoiled. We ourselves develop an attitude of "entitlement" where our self-worth is wrapped up in our possessions.

How much better to follow God's example of patience. Christ is our perfect example of good character. There is the old saying that "good things come to those who wait." I think this is true. By waiting for things and teaching our children to wait for things, I firmly believe that we will find true joy, contentment and fulfillment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments