The Character of God

The story of Joseph in the book of Genesis is one of my favorites. In his story, we see the promise of Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
Photo Credit

My kids and I are finishing up our study of Genesis with Kay Arthur's inductive Bible study book "Joseph, God's Superhero". In this study the kids learned (and I was reminded) of the character traits of God Himself. I loved how she simply summarized each trait so that the kids could easily understand these important truths about who God is.

God is SOVEREIGN. In Isaiah 46:9-11 we read the following:

"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do."

Kay Arthur writes, "God is the One in control. That means He is sovereign. God is the Ruler of all. What He says, He will do. What He plans will come to pass. God is over the entire earth." (p. 54) Just as God was in control of Joseph's circumstances, both good and bad; so He is in control of ours. Just as God had a plan for Joseph's life, so He has a plan for ours.

God is OMNISCIENT. In Psalm 139:1-6, David tells us:

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

"God knows everything: past, present, or future. God is omniscient. That means He is all-knowing." (p. 54) In Joseph's story, God was both the giver of the dreams as well as the interpreter of them. He sent Joseph to Egypt so he would be in the right place at the right time in order to save not only the people of Egypt, but his own family from the famine. Even when we don't understand why things are happening in our lives, we can trust that God sees the end result.

God is OMNIPOTENT. In Job 42:2 Job writes:

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted."

"Omnipotent means that God is all-powerful. He had a purpose for the things He allowed to happen to Joseph." (p. 55) Joseph's brothers wanted to kill him, but God rescued Joseph from them. He was the one who sent the years of abundance and famine. God is the one who allows both the good and bad things to happen in our lives.

God is OMNIPRESENT. Jeremiah tells us in Jeremiah 23:23-24:

"Am I only a God nearby," declares the Lord, "and not far away? Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the Lord. "Do not I fill heaven and earth?" declares the Lord."

"Omnipresent means that God is present everywhere, at all times. . . God is always near." (p. 55) In the story of Joseph, we read several times that "God was with Joseph". We too can trust that God is present with us in our times of joy as well as trials.

God is IMMUTABLE. Malachi 3:6 reads:

"I the Lord do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed."

"God is always the same in His nature, His character, and His will. He never changes. That means He is immutable. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow." (pp. 55-56) Like Joseph, we can trust God no matter what our circumstances are because God will not change.

God is GRACIOUS and MERCIFUL. In Psalm 145:8-9, David writes:

"The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made."

"God is gracious and merciful. . . God is good." (p. 56) He blessed all that Joseph did in Potiphar's house, showed kindness to Joseph in prison and helped him forget all his troubles. Even though we may face various trials and difficulties, God keeps them from overtaking us completely. He also blesses our efforts of obedience.

God is FAITHFUL. Deuteronomy 7:9 says:

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands."

"God is always true to His promises. . . God is faithful. He (is) always there." (p. 56) How awesome that we can trust God to be faithful to all He says He will do.

And finally, God is ETERNAL. Revelation 1:8 reads:

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

"God is eternal. That means He has no beginning or end. He is not confined to time." (p. 57) Every event in Joseph's life was subject to God's timing. If we look back at our own lives, we can see how things that occurred in our past prepared us for the current thing we might be going through now. And whatever we are experiencing now will more than likely help us at some future time.

Seeing God's character helps us understand how Joseph "was able to endure his circumstances, why he was able to wait patiently, and why he never grew angry or bitter. Joseph knew God. He understood God's character."

"Do you  know God? Do you have a relationship with Him like Joseph did? Why don't you spend some time thanking God for all you have learned about Him? Tell Him that you know He alone is God and that you will turn your life over to Him and allow Him to do whatever He pleases in your life, just like Joseph did. Tell God you want to please Him. Allow God to train you to be His superhero, no matter what the cost." (p. 57)

As I look back on my own life, I see how God has been at work. Through my trials allowed by Him and even those created by my own disobedience, God was with me. He moved me to the next place I needed to be for things to work out for my good and His glory. Over the years I have become more and more sure that God is good and I am loved. God is the one I praise when things are good. He is the one I turn to when things are hard. I fully trust Him with all of my life. I believe that no matter what difficulty may come my way, that God will be faithful to supply all of my needs as He has done so many times before. To God be the glory!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments