Making Us His

We made it through the first week of radiation/chemotherapy fairly well. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I think we had been anticipating; which came to be true of most everything in the months to follow. We began counting down the weeks - this helped us feel like we'd accomplished something as well as helped us see the end wasn't too far off. . .

November 15, 2010

The first week of treatment has ended. I feel like we have accomplished a great deal. Dennis has done very well this week. He is much more tired than before, but in spite of the fatigue, he was able to get up and exercise a few days this week. He had a couple moments of nausea that led him to take his medication, but after a short time, it passed. He has been eating well and has even gained a couple pounds. Being hooked up to the chemo pump is a bit annoying for him, but it is not uncomfortable. We are happy to have one week behind us.


We have been so grateful for the dinners this week. Not having to think about and prepare meals has been a tremendous help to me. The men who have come over to help us this weekend are also appreciated. Not only does it lift our spirits to experience the community of Christ; but also it has helped to lift some of the burden that this trial has brought.

My Daniel study is coming to an end. As I was working on the lesson this week we were asked to write down what we have learned from studying the book of Daniel. I was taken back to the beginning of the study about Daniel’s captivity, the escape from the fiery furnace and the lion’s den. Being reminded that God is in the midst of this with us, that we have others who are here to stand with us through this and that in the end God will deliver us was a great encouragement.

I went looking for a book to read the other day and picked up Max Lucado’s “A Gentle Thunder”. It’s been some time since I’ve read it. As I began to read it, I found it to be very timely. Lucado wrote in the opening, “His (God’s) goal is not to make you happy. His goal is to make you His. His goal is not to get you what you want; it is to get you what you need. And if that means a jolt or two to get you in your seat, then be jolted. Earthly discomfort is a glad swap for heavenly peace. Jesus said, ‘In this world you will have trouble, but be brave! I have defeated the world.’ (John 16:33).”

I don’t know if God thought we needed a jolt, but he has our attention. And I am more sure than ever that I want to be His; and I will trust Him fully as the pilot of my life’s journey. I will gladly trade this time of discomfort and trouble for the promise of eternal heavenly peace.

We sang Hillsongs’ “Desert Song” this morning:
This is my prayer in the desert, when all that’s within me is dry.
This is my prayer in my hunger and need. My God is the God who provides.
This is my prayer in the fire, in weakness or trial or pain.
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold, so refine me Lord through the flame.
I will bring praise. I will bring praise. No weapon formed against me shall remain.
I will rejoice. I will declare. God is my victory and He is here.
This is my prayer in the battle, when triumph is still on its way.
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ. So firm on His promise I’ll stand.
All of my life in every season You are still God.
I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to worship.
This is my prayer in the harvest when favor and providence flow.
I know I’m filled to be emptied again.
The seed I’ve received I will sow.

Even in the midst of the trials of life, we will still offer praise to the Lord. In spite of the difficulties, there is still much to be thankful for. We are blessed in many ways. Thank you for your continued support, words of encouragement, and prayers. You are one of the reasons we praise God.

With praise,
Carolyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments