Two Enduring Goals

New Year's resolutions. We have probably all made some at one time or another. Maybe some we kept for some time, others we likely let fall away. Usually they aren't the kind of things that command a long term commitment. I had intended to sit down in January and work through a goal sheet I had forwarded to me from one of my sister-in-laws. But life took over and I never got around to it. But my desire for setting some significant goals has remained. Fortunately, this desire was answered recently through a book I just finished reading.

A friend sent me the book "The Mystery of God's Will" by Charles Swindoll. As I was reading the last chapter, Swindoll shared two enduring goals he has. I was very excited reading the section and agreed heartily with what he wrote. Now I have words to share what my greatest desires are, not just for this year, but for the rest of my life. Here is the excerpt from his book:
"I have two enduring goals in life. First and foremost, I desire to learn how to think biblically. I want to see life through the lens of God's eyes for the rest of my days. I don't want to argue with Him, but I desperately desire to obey Him. And so I want to see life, whether it be struggle or joy, whether it be loss or gain, through God's perspective.

I want to be able to turn to the Scriptures and find direction and help. And when I can't find answers, I want to trust and to wait for God, even when I can't understand the reason behind where I'm going. And I want to have inner peace through all of that. . . True contentment. . .

And coming in a close second, I want to encourage other people to do the same thing. I want to help them know how to do what I am learning to do."
These goals are not just for the present time or for the remainder of this year. They are meant to be lasting, enduring. Now I have my goals, and I will do my best to "press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." (Philippians 3:12)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments