To Live is Christ and to Die is Gain


What an anxious week we had waiting. Even though we both expected to hear Dennis did in fact have cancer, I didn't completely set aside the idea that God could indeed do a miracle. As I began studying the book of Daniel in my Bible study a month later, we both came to believe that the Lord was going to deliver us through this trial and not from it. What a blessing to be able to rest in the arms of God. . .

August 27, 2010
Dear Family and Friends,

Late this afternoon we went to see the doctor to find out the results of Dennis' biopsy. The news was what we both expected. . . Dennis does in fact have colon cancer. We are beginning the necessary steps immediately to determine the stage of the cancer and to schedule surgery.

Thank you for your prayers and emails of encouragement. We know that God is in control and I agree with Dennis that our greatest desire is to glorify God in all things - even our trials. We are beginning a difficult journey, but I know that God will work all things together for our good and His glory.

Following is an email Dennis sent to the staff at his school. I thought you would like to read it as well. We will continue to keep you updated as we receive new information.

We love you all and thank you for standing by us.
Carolyn

Carolyn and I are both at peace as we face this situation. Many friends and family members have been praying for us and we have felt God's presence during the past ten days. While we've been praying that I didn't have cancer, we both independently have felt that this wasn't how He would work this out for us. We're praying that God will be glorified through the way we handle this problem and that we will be good witnesses of His faithfulness in times of trouble. I've often said to Carolyn that God must not think we could handle much adversity, because we have been blessed in so many ways through the years. Apparently, He thinks we've matured enough to be able to handle this now.

Here's a rundown of the next steps: I'm going in for blood tests tomorrow (Saturday), calling to make an appointment for a CT-scan on Monday, then calling to meet with the surgeon right after the scan. My doctor has arranged for me to meet with the chief of colon and rectal surgery at UCI Medical Center for the surgery, then begin therapy at San Antonio Hospital for the cancer. Again, we'll know more after the CT-scan results.

Here's how you can pray: First, pray that I can get into surgery quickly and that my recovery would go smoothly. Second, pray for Carolyn, that God would continue to strengthen her as we go through this together. I thank God for giving me such an amazing wife to help me get through this. Third, pray for Ellie and Josh, that God would protect their hearts and minds as they see me work through recovery. We haven't said anything to them yet, and will need wisdom in knowing how much to share with them and at what point. Fourth, pray for us as we deal with our insurance company, that the doors would be open and we wouldn't have any excessive financial burdens to worry about. Finally, pray for my students and Arrowhead Christian Academy, that their lives and education won't be too disrupted by this, but that they can see the hand of God working in my life and that their faith in Him would grow stronger.

The Sunday night before I had my procedure, Pastor David at Calvary Chapel Chino Valley was teaching from Philippians, and the following passage has given me such a comfort the last week and a half that I wanted to share it with you:

"For I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." (Phil. 1: 19-26)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Benefits of Being a Child of God

Fuel Up with the Holy Spirit

The First Four Commandments